View Single Post
Old 29-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beware importing a car from the US

I spend years working for a forwarder/customs broker with a specialized division for Cars/bikes/etc Ex. USA Unfortunately I heard this type of thing to much.. they would get a quote from us, then go with some 2 bob operation for a bit less $$$ which would bite them in the butt (not saying this is the case with you at all but ive seen it all).

Insurance Policy - As soon as you paid for the insurance, they would have been able to send you a copy of the policy for your records should you need to use it. Obviously if damage occurs to your vehicle make contact with the Freight Company (they will have terms and conditions regarding not being common carriers and take no liability for damage) and then you would contact the insurance company direct to sort out... I assume they didn't give you a copy of the Policy and therefore may never have even taken the cover out

Quarantine - ALL quarantine action will have some sort of paper trail. When the car gets inspected by them, they will issue either a release or a direction for further treatment. All of which clearly state what action is to be taken. This should have been provided to you by the forwarder/freight company. Once released, Quarantine also issue a "Final Record of Service" with ALL the fees the Department charges you. The depot charges for cleaning are separate and can vary but again, they should be able to provide an invoice for service

It sucks you got screwed by what seemed like a dodgy operation. Don't let it scare you off through as there are some great ones out there. the Company I used to work for has now moved away from this type of work but I can recommend a company that does this type of shipping and Is brilliant..

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: