View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 11:18 AM   #48
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Road Trip Advice/Suggestions/Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Seeing as you're taking mostly back roads I'd say that they wouldn't be any better (they're not around here anyway)

Most councils will be spending their money on main roads, little used ones are at the bottom of the repair list to get money spent on.
Thanks Gaso. I wasn't sure if it might be the other way around, ie because those roads have less traffic, there'd be less potholes (which are primarily caused by the amount of traffic). As you say tho, once formed, the chances of repair on a back road would be less.

As an example, I travelled along the Snowy River Way (not even categorised) from just north of Bombala through to Dalgety, then the Dalgety Road through to Berridale and then on the Kosciuszko Road through to Jindabyne on our trip last weekend. Whilst there were numerous potholes along the Snowy River Way, I'd happily traverse that in the XR8 with the current conditions as the holes weren't that aplenty and those that were there were easily avoidable.

Conversely, the Monaro Highway (a B designated road) was appalling, especially on the Vicco side. I'd be concerned about driving the XR8 along there in the current state.

And, on my trip to Bathurst last year, I went up via Canberra, Gundaroo, Gunning, Turena, etc. The WORST part of that trip, road condition wise, was the section from Sutton to Gundaroo. There was literally more potholes than bitumen on that stretch. When I got to Gundaroo, it was obvious why; all of the Canberra-ites were heading up there for day trips. The place was packed! Traffic volume clearly played a part in the road conditions there!

I was hoping that someone on here may have travelled the roads recently and would be able to give me an actual condition report.

I'm pretty comfortable that the drive through to the Vic/NSW border should be ok as well as from Oberon through to Gosford, but am most concerned about the trip Jingellic/Tumbarumba/Tumut/Gundagai/Harden/Boorowa/Taralga/Oberon. If anyone has any recent condition reports, that would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at the map, I have numerous exit strategies available to me. For the lower section of road in NSW, I can bail out and head north to the Hume. For the area around Crookwell, I can either head south and join the Hume, or traverse across to the road heading north through Tuena (which was fine to drive last October) and head on into Bathurst and then east towards Sydney from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991
Take the main highways, you can cruise comfortably at top speed, and if you want to detour for a scenic route you can always rejoin the highway after. Seeing as you are concerned about damage to your car. I took a trip adelaide to alice couple of years ago. It was brutal hitting cattle grids at 110km, in a 30-year-old car. Fortunately, no harm done but I wouldn't have taken the route if I had known the beating it would take.
Yeah, but there's no fun in that. I've been planning this trip for about four years now, so am pretty keen to get onto some roads, and into areas, I've never been before. I have no real time pressures, so am happy to meander a bit rather than go straight-line with side trips.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 02-03-2023 at 11:41 AM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: