View Single Post
Old 28-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do P plater HiPo band work?

In short no, and frankly it is ludicrous to think they would. The only conceivable benefit I can imagine would be that if a p-plater has a limited budget for a car, and is prohibited from paying extra for a performance model, then they might by default spend more money on a safer vehicle. On the other hand though, “performance” vehicles tend to have upgraded brakes, tyres, suspension, etc.
Ultimately it comes down to the skill and attitude of the driver, and the safety of the vehicle.

I’m not sure why people seem surprised that young people are amongst the “worst” drivers? Look at any fields of endeavour and you usually find that experience counts (until age starts to impact performance.)
Young drivers need better training, more opportunity to get “real world” experience in a safe environment, and safer cars.
When I was a teenager, there were still isolated places where we could go for a spin on muddy bush tracks. You learnt what happened when you entered a corner too fast, but at worst you wound up upto your knees in dirt or swamp and had to get your mates to pull you out. Better to learn that lesson at 40kph in the mud, than at 100kph on a highway.