Old 18-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #19
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Captain Stubing and the Love Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Great project, Cap’n.
What’s in the anti-foul? I wouldn’t have thought it would be needed for a trailer-sailer, only being in the water for, what, 1 week at a time max?
Looks to be a great job you’ve done on the resto.
Enjoy many happy hours cruising with the bride ��
Thanks Steve, I wasn't sure about the reason for anti-fouling, as powerboats don't use it, but as it was there when we bought the yot, I found it easiest to recoat it, as it can be brushed or rolled on.

I'm a bit wiser now, and when I work out a system of supporting the hull away from the trailer, I might look at a big sanding session, and respray with two pack acrylic.

As it happens, while we were packing up the yot after the keel cable broke, an older gent pulled up and parked beside me. He struck up some small talk while looking over the yot, then asked me what the original name was.

I had no idea that there was anything other than the name she had when we bought her, but then he told me the name was either Meg or Elizabeth.

I asked him how he knew this, and he told me he was the original owner, having had two built in the early 80's for his yacht hire business in Tin Can Bay. How did he know this?

He designed the logo on the bow for all his boats

Seeing the logo I had just had reproduced was what drew his attention, and made him stop to look. On top of that, he is part of a trailer sailer club on Bribey Island, and offered membership... not a bad idea!

Edit: one point I forgot to mention, as the yot was available for hire, so probably lived in the water, hence the anti-fouling.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 18-05-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: