View Single Post
Old 31-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU V8 models: Basic questions answered!

In an attempt to avoid the same threads coming up weekly, here's a few tips/answers/comments about the AU V8 range.

Q: How do I tell if my XR8 is a 200 or 220kw model?

A: There is only one 100% foolproof way to do it, and that is to call ford with your vin and verify it. The number is 13FORD.
The other ways are looking for the following features:
* "220" Badge on rear bootlid
* Tickford wings engraved into throttle body
* Colour Coded Exterior Mirror Scalps

As a general rule, 220kw motors were introduced into AU XR's from April 2001. This means late Series II models, and all Series III models got the 220kw donk.

NOTE: This does NOT apply to XR8 Utes, where the maximum engine power available from factory was 200kw. No ute ever had the 220kw engine factory fitted. Again the April 2001 date is correct to identify your ute and determine whether it is a 185 or 200kw version, the 185kw utes also have a spacer between the throttlebody and the intake manifold. If your ute has the spacer there, it's a 185kW spec engine. If it doesnt, you've likely got a 200kw motor.

Q: How much power does my XR8 have? Its a Series I.

Power Outputs for the entire AU XR range were as follows: (from factory)

AU Series I, Sedan and Ute: 185kw
AU Series I, NON XR Sedan and Ute: 175kW

AU Series II, Sedan: 200kw (late April onwards 220kw)
AU Series II, Ute: 185kw (after introduction of Pursuit model, 200kw)
AU Series II, NON XR Sedan and Ute: 175kW

AU Series III, Sedan: 220kw
AU Series III, Ute: 200kw
AU Series III, NON XR Sedan and Ute: 175kW

The exception to this is that the AUII onwards V8 LTD models did have 185kw, with the difference being made up primarily from a twin system exhaust fitted to that model.

Q: What model got the 5.6L stroker engine?

This engine went into Series III AU models known as T-Series. There were 4 models - TE50, TS50, TL50 and a ute model known as the Pursuit250 (although this was technically just an XR8 with a bigger engine). These models can be identified by their bodykits, bigger engines, 18" alloy wheels, brembo or tickford premium brakes (both were available), and in the case of the sedans, a build plate in the engine bay stating the model name and number (Utes did not get this).

More info on the T-Series range can be found in the T-Series Room HERE

Q: What's the difference between a "Pursuit" Ute, and the rest of the range?

This is where it gets tricky. Ford released a model called the "Pursuit", which was an XR8 Ute (XR6 VCT utes were also available), with MOMO gear such as steering wheel and shifter, leather trim, Tickford Bodykit and Sports Bars on the back all included for an extra $1k. (The XR8 versions also had a 200kw motor as opposed to the 185kw regular offering, but after the introduction of Pursuit Utes the 200kw motor became the standard offering in all XR8 Utes). These were known and badged as Pursuit Utes, and are not to be confused with the Pursuit250 as described above.

Q: I own a V8 AU but its not an XR. How much power does it make, and what is different on the engine compared to a XR model?

For all non-XR V8 models the power remained at 175kw in all series except the AUII LTD as mentioned above. These engines have the same heads as the 200kw-spec motors (these heads are known as GT40Ps), same intake manifold (5.6L stroker has a specific manifold though, this is the only exception), but a smaller (65mm) throttle body and MAF sensor. Exhaust systems, particularly exhaust manifolds, also differed in design and were not as high-flowing as the XR types although the LTD models as mentioned got a twin exhaust system as standard.

Q: My car has a Herrod/SVO badge on it. What does this mean?

It means at some point the car has been worked on by an aftermarket company. Herrod and SVO are two of the biggest, and both did a lot of work on AU's. If you have the badges, best to call them and see what has been done.

Q: Can the V8's in AU models be modified and if so what can I do to it?

In a nutshell, yes they can be modified and you have a wealth of options seeing as the Windsor V8 has been in service for decades. Cylinder Heads, Cams, Manifolds and even Stroker Kits are all relatively easy modifications but they do require a bit of careful planning and a budget to work with. Exhaust systems and intakes are often the first mods that AU Windsor owners carry out and there's a wealth of info in these forums as well as the 'Workshop Builds' section. Also check out the Windsor V8 Forum HERE to see what other owners have done, and to get advice on what cam will be best for your car.

Last edited by b2tf; 27-12-2008 at 09:54 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: