View Single Post
Old 31-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #138
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Can you set an alarm on your phone with the libre2 cgm? My eldest uses them but she always has her phone on vibrate so I'm not sure what hers does.

My youngest has the dexcom brand and can set high and low alarms on her phone. We also can get the data shared to our phones. I have the alarm set to 3.6 on my phone. I think she has it a bit higher on hers so that we (her parents) are only being notified when it's gone real low. It's quite handy, esp for people who don't have symptoms leading up to a hypo.

Having said that it's only really helpful if you have your phone on you at all times. I understand that's not always possible.

The sensors come in real handy too because you can have false hypos. If you have a rapid drop in blood sugar you can get the same symptoms but still be in the range and steady. If you treat based on feeling you can end up in a bit of a roller coaster. Now with the sensors you don't have to reach for a finger pricker or anything, just scan with your phone for an instant reading.
When I first started to use these sensors, I set up the alarms for both high and low readings. I turned them off within a day as they were driving me mad. I lucky I can feel both high and low sugars so I'm in decent tune with what my body is doing. The reality with these sensors is that they are so much more convenient than what I had done to manage the disease for 30 odd years. So, grabbing my phone out and doing a quick check is far easier than going inside, washing up and doing a blood test, or probably worse, guessing. The lack of guessing now is what takes away a lot of the problems I was having.

You are very lucky to have the technology available to help manage your daughter's diabetes. My parents had nothing like that, and while I have not brought the subject up with them, I can only imagine how hard it must have been.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: