View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 09:09 PM   #145
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Insulin pumps and airport staff. Always the lottery. I get that they have a job to do and must deal with all types of people, day in day out, however, if you aren't a people person, then choose a job where you aren't dealing with people.

Pumps are never to be removed and put through the scanner. There is the potential for the pump to get damaged. This means they have to go through the walk through, and they always trigger it. We always give the person attending a heads up, and they're normally pretty cool, just give you a wave down with the wand and send you on your way.

Today, dropping my eldest off at the airport, my poor 13yr old got totally humiliated. As usual, we explained prior to her walking through that she had an insulin pump. No problems, come through. As normal, it beeped so she got pulled aside. Now the airport was busy so she got handballed off to another person and I think there may have been some miscommunication... She got the full pat down, waving the wand all over, made her remove her shoes and put them back through the scanner, drug tested (swabbed) her pump and clothes etc. Made her feel like a criminal and of course, being a 13yr old girl, ended up in tears.

She lives with this condition every day of her life and is so ultra sensitive to feeling different, so the whole airport experience was actually quite traumatic esp since the airport was quite busy and we weren't in a room or anything, just in front of everyone.

Just having a vent.
I'm sorry you both had to go through that.

The staff member in question was out of line and I would be reaching out to the appropriate company in question, they need to put more appropriate procedures in place for the subject in question.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: