Thread: $1 Cluster mod
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i was reading on Fordmod's that to get your needles glowing at night, cause the read and blue dont work to well together,,

to get your needles, lightly scrape off the red backing, so they are clear, and then put white at the back of the needles. worth a try?
Thats what i was originally going to try , but i was informed that the needles ( in the xr anyway ) are solid red needles , apparentlly it's not just a red coating on them.

I was going to use glow in the dark paint on the needles , but it would look cheap , and the red glow in the dark paint looks sorta pink in daylight / yuk .

Im really thinking that i might try combine these 2 mods , by removing my blue led's in the dash , and replacing them with high rated brightness white leds / diffused . Then use just some blue cellophane behind the dash in the areas i want it blue. The led's get no-where near as hot (you can put an led on your lip etc while its running , not hot at all ) / so this should stop the apparent problem of the cellophane cracking over time due to the heat from the original globes .

Imo I think it would look much better , at least then the end of each guage would still have its red area / by default , and the lines on the speedo and tacho are all that would have to have a blue layer of cellophane behind them .
Then the needles would still glow nicelly again too , they would probably glow brighter than original globes with white leds behind the dash ! .

I'll give it a go soon , too crook as a dog at the moment with a flu/cold :( .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote