Thread: $1 Cluster mod
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Thats what i was originally going to try , but i was informed that the needles ( in the xr anyway ) are solid red needles , apparentlly it's not just a red coating on them.

I was going to use glow in the dark paint on the needles , but it would look cheap , and the red glow in the dark paint looks sorta pink in daylight / yuk .

Im really thinking that i might try combine these 2 mods , by removing my blue led's in the dash , and replacing them with high rated brightness white leds / diffused . Then use just some blue cellophane behind the dash in the areas i want it blue. The led's get no-where near as hot (you can put an led on your lip etc while its running , not hot at all ) / so this should stop the apparent problem of the cellophane cracking over time due to the heat from the original globes .

Imo I think it would look much better , at least then the end of each guage would still have its red area / by default , and the lines on the speedo and tacho are all that would have to have a blue layer of cellophane behind them .
Then the needles would still glow nicelly again too , they would probably glow brighter than original globes with white leds behind the dash ! .

I'll give it a go soon , too crook as a dog at the moment with a flu/cold :( .

thats the beauty of LED's. i wanna get the pre-fab/made ones from autobarn but at $10 a pop no thanks. unless they screw up and i get a whole box for $10 :

but yeah, i might have to go get some cellophane and start hacking it up. ive got some ideas already :