View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #83
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I got my first pay packet at the end of 1967 (1st Year App Elect) $16.35 P/W nett.
I got my first car at the end of 1967, a clapped out 1959 FC Holden.

Very true about car longevity, by the end of the '60s most of the '50s cars were gone.
That's true and I believe it to be that the newer model cars were advancing at a rate so that the older cars were out of date and no one really wanted them and the resale must of dropped of sharply.

As to Ira was on about, I thought the inflation rate was low back in the 50's and 60's and it's only from the mid 70's and early 80's that Inflation was out of control.
I remember Builders in the early 80's where Builders had new cars every year on HP they were real happy with the resale but the new car was huge jump in price and then when the inflation rate went down they were complaining about the resale and I said listen stupid the fact is about the same regardless if you bother to work it all out, so get over it. but they could not get their head around it because they were use to it and as such got in a habit of such in loosing the plot.

My brother once had a HQ Holden in the 70's and then in the 1990's I think it was that I pointed out to him the price that a HQ could fetch and he said in amazement but they were not even that when new, he could not get his head around it.
I said inflation you fool ! it's not worth more than what it was new truly at all, as it's true value was not worth more in reality.

Many people were that dumb with inflation, I remember working for a tradesman who never put his prices up really over 1975 to 1985 but he once could afford to have new cars and then ended up driving around in old rubbish and still worked 7 days a week and a top quality tradesman by far but could not understand the value of money had changed, he was still living in the 60's in the 80's but would boast like all tradesmen do, that they were doing so well down the pub and I am like well show me your car you idiot ! and I will tell you how good that you are doing. not to mention how all of them always tried to diddle their workers pay and claimed not to be able to afford to pay their entitlements. that was QLD.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: