View Single Post
Old 15-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #58
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
yeh i know haha.... i mean i love my Windsors, but its frustating having a block that can only handle 450-500hp stock when u have big plans and a smaller budget..... also, it gets to me that a head and cam package will bring a VX SS to 300+kws (with exhaust,cai,tune) and the same on mine will barely hit the 300kw mark.....

My mates VX SS has all the bolt ons and a bigger cam, and it absolutely flies.... My AU XR8 has all the bolt ons and a bigger cam and goes good, but no way near as good as the VX..... Still the reason i bought my AU XR is cos i couldnt bring myself to buy a holden so no way am i gonna sell my beast to get one, but then the subject of strokering and crate motors came up.... I saw an LS2 and thought : what if!
"Only 500HP stock"? So what have you done to get that?

"Big plans and a smaller budget"? Sorry, but you have to get real. You don't get anything for nothing.

"Strokering and crate motors"? Funny word "strokering" ... you actually sound a bit like a Holden bogan and maybe you are one person who could actually get away with a crate LS engine in your XR8. At least your Holden mates will still talk to you.

Now seriously ... the crate motors are not that good. They have nowhere near the longevity or reliability of the little Windsor. Your 5.0 litre, built up properly, will put out a reliable 300kW all day every day and will continue to do it for at least 500,000 km years if you look after it properly. The LS engine WILL NOT. And if you want more you can get easy reliable 350kW with a stroker kit - all it takes is about 20 big ones.

Yes, the LX might seem to "fly" compared to your XR8 but you must realise that it only does it in a straight line and only because it is about 250kg lighter. Start throwing some corners and braking into the mix and the XR8 will drive away from the LX regardless of the weight issue. Point to point on aussie roads I know which I'd rather be driving.

And don't let me start on the "crash test" - an LX will be turned to sardine can standard recyclable material with even a fairly minor shunt. I have been unfortunate enough to have been in two quite serious collisions in AUs and I know where I'd rather be sitting in a worse case event.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote