Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #77
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Yep , Even the same to a degree when cutting golf greens . If you missed a cut or two , you knew about it next time .

I only had two Scott Bonnar 65's with 24" cylinder reel to use in my time , now they use the Toro triplex but the quality of cut on a Friday was severely different if they weren't cut on Tuesday afternoon at least for the ladies day on Wednesdays . Usually meant a double cut otherwise whinging members on Sat comp day . All hell broke loose if not cut at all even if the greens were covered in water or you had a break down or sick ..Run for the hills if the pins weren't changed or the tee beds were long . Fairways with Ransomes triple gangs on a wet days was fun too . Not PTO driven , wheel driven .Go 50 metres , get off , unclog , get on , 50 metres , get off , unclog very often .

Ah , those were the days . Paid $7 p.h. for 30 hours that translated almost always to 40 plus hours for same $210 in the mid 1980's. No holiday pay either . Didn't work , no pay . Never happen now .
I play Lawn bowls so a similar situation with our greens to a golf putting surface, needs to be kept cut as often as the grass will accept in order to maintain pace and accuracy, 2 years ago we had the SA state squad request to train on our Santa Ana greens that a coupe of us prepare for love as were not a big club with funds to pay a professional, was quite an honour to host them.
The club decided to pay a bloke to do the job last season and the greens went down hill so fast as he just wouldnt put in the time that we did.
So many members complained about how they were playing, in the end he pulled the pin and now weve got 2 volunteers on the job again, a greens keeper from the local course and a former wicket curator who worked with me on them previously and the improvement in 2 months is remarkable.

Havent quite got the pace up yet, running about 14 seconds yesterday, but the coverage and even colour is promising at this stage of the year.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote