Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 29-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Fourteen seconds is a beaut speed I reckon . Fair for all . I remember playing on a city green many moons ago in a rep game that looked about 12 before roll up and was actually more than 16 ..Was fun though despite us country bumpkins struggling to manage it .
Its funny you know roddy, if you sit and listen to most bowlers they'll tell you they love quick greens, 16 seconds and over, yet as soon as they put a bowl down on them they cut the head and end up in the ditch.
I totally agree with your assessment, 14-15 seconds is quick enough and forgiving if you happen to miss your line by a fraction.

We played on a synthetic at Payneham last weekend and it was running about 17 seconds which is actually slightly off pace for what it can run when conditions are right, even with the modern bowls, i use a very narrow set of SR's, i was hitting the boundary at the shoulder and quite often finishing on the non professional side.
Not many could handle it and we lost all 4 rinks in the end.

Im only a hack really, my Daughter on the other hand, 3 time State Junior Champion and was sponsored by Henselite until she turned her back on national duties.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote