View Single Post
Old 16-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #38
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: The 'Automotive Environmental' Thread - Electric Cars/Fuel Quality/Alternative Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
100% EV is not going to happen overnight, there is plenty of time.

To phase out all ice cars will take 20 years, if we stop selling new Ice cars by 2030.

20 years ago Australia has a population of 20 million and people were saying how are we going to handle more people in Australia ?

What about the infrastructure and schools etc blah blah...

We have now an extra 5 million people in Australia.

So in 20 years Australia was able to handle the increase electricity usage of 5 million more people plus people use more electricity overall now.

Other countries have had even greater increases in populations in cities.
Granted, that is all true about population increases etc and what we were saying 20 years ago.

Do you think that it will take 20 years though to make petrol/diesel cars almost obsolete? I am thinking more like 10 years, 15 years absolute maximum.

The reason I am thinking that the changeover will happen sooner is that once EVs become mainstream Governments are going to tax the hell out of fuel and diesel due to trying to maintain their tax stream and pressure from environmental/green groups. Also, as more EVs come on line, it will become less and less convenient for people to own, fuel and maintain petrol/diesel cars. The only thing I could see stopping from people from changing over will be the resale of their fossil fuelled vehicles.

Even if as you say by 2050 99% of Australia own EVs I still don't think that with our current crop of political leaders that we will have the infrastructure and/or systems in place for this sort of timeline.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote