View Single Post
Old 16-04-2019, 08:28 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: The 'Automotive Environmental' Thread - Electric Cars/Fuel Quality/Alternative Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Granted, that is all true about population increases etc and what we were saying 20 years ago.

Do you think that it will take 20 years though to make petrol/diesel cars almost obsolete? I am thinking more like 10 years, 15 years absolute maximum.

The reason I am thinking that the changeover will happen sooner is that once EVs become mainstream Governments are going to tax the hell out of fuel and diesel due to trying to maintain their tax stream and pressure from environmental/green groups. Also, as more EVs come on line, it will become less and less convenient for people to own, fuel and maintain petrol/diesel cars. The only thing I could see stopping from people from changing over will be the resale of their fossil fuelled vehicles.

Even if as you say by 2050 99% of Australia own EVs I still don't think that with our current crop of political leaders that we will have the infrastructure and/or systems in place for this sort of timeline.
They tried to hike taxes on diesel and ban diesel cars in France and look what that started when people realised they were going to get the pinecone with no lube:

If the Government tries to hike fuel prices massively prior to them becoming mainstream/viable under some BS environmental excuse people will crack the ****s big time.

In my opinion its not happening before 2050 here unless there is exponential leaps and bounds in battery technology and power infrastructure in Australia.

We cant even have a train line prior to 2045 from Melbourne CBD to Melbourne Airport because we sold our soul to Transurban and NBN is still going after only a single government change a term in before the dismantled it.

Unless you get rid of 3 year election cycles in Australia and overhaul our political system, we can't do long term infrastructure projects exceeding two election cycles.

Voting doesn't overhaul political systems, history shows the only way political systems change is by violence.

You won't ever be able to pull of massive infrastructure projects like China can knock out hand over fist, they have a one party state and they do what they want without opposition - the byproduct of our democracy is that we spend much more time arguing on the fringes than actually building things.

If you're going to pull off long term infrastructure projects you need a government to go a few terms with a significant majority in both houses with a leader who can control the party with an iron fist - so far we've had like 36 prime ministers in the last decade with two major political parties with factions who don't see eye to eye with each other.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: