View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Australia’s record $10 million fine for “unconscionable conduct” over dodgy transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I've had six Falcons , still got two and I've never had any of those issues other than a bit of rust in the XE but it was a farm owned car . Apparently Mr Matthews the original owner barely ever washed the cow **** from under the guards . Guess where the rust appeared a few years after I bought it . I must be just blessed or something with those other problems .

They were/are XB , XE , EF , AU (still going great) , BA and FG (current as well) . Single biggest issue was an A/C leak in the EF , a dodgy GPS with the BA Fairmont Ghia and an issue with original AU Stereo when it began picking and choosing if it'd read a CD or not .

Not perfect cars but not bloody bad either built to a price or not .
Yep and a BTR reconditioning at 170,000km is looking like a walk in the park compared to these gearboxes.

In trying to save the last spec of juice from drivetrains in the late 2000s, engineers developed dry clutch DSG, twinchargers, direct injection collecting carbon furiously on the back of valves and clogging motors, the experience of hesitation on acceleration from both dsg and cvt, whining flaring of cvt on hard acceleration... Diesel became popular and the joy of $1k injector replacements and blocked dpf filters became known.

Mazda refined its conventional torque converter autos and developed skyactiv engines, with skyactivX in the wings, probably the most exciting ICE advancement of late. And they are reliable.

Toyota stuck with their hybrid system and delivered, and now its expanding. Also note the new Tojo direct injection petrol motors also inject indirectly onto the back of the valves... And they are reliable.

This is what Ford is up against now they compete directly without a unique selling point platform like the Falcon.