View Single Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #42
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Dont do this. Go and drive a proper truck not a re-badged Renault
I take it that comment was made in jest, but just to clear it up (it's always good to have accurate information :P)

The ONLY models that are "rebadged" Renault's are Midlums and Premiums- the imported side of the range that caters for the 8t- 12t payloads, from a demographic that wanted to be included in driving a Mack truck, that was previously overlooked. Given Mack bought Renault around 10 years ago, it is fair to say they have every right to wear the badge. Regardless of this, the public perception (and image) is these are not "proper" trucks anyway- given they are incapable of pulling trailers- they are a rigid-speciffic range only.

The Qantum (cab over) utilises the Renault-built cab only- no other components are sourced from the European Range- the underpinnings of a Qantum 6x4 are in fact the same as a Fleetliner..........

Every other truck is engineered and built by Mack.

Mack Trucks were bought out by Volvo Trucks roughly 5 years ago, after a second failed attempt to acquire Scania (a company owned mostly by Volkswagon) who also have shares in Hino. Daimler-Chrysler own Mercedes-Benz, Western Star (formerly White Trucks production plant in Canada, who were bought by Volvo Trucks and sold off), Freightliner and Sterling (previously Ford Trucks). Iveco bought International Trucks and emerged the brand name once more, Kenworth and DAF are both PACCAR products......

How many "proper" trucks are left?

For the record, Mack are the only "American" mainstream brand that still engineers and develops it's own engines, gearboxes, diffs, cabs, chassis and suspension systems- neither of the other US heavy hitters do this. You can still buy a truck that is Mack from the infamous Bulldog to the rear diff......

Anyway mate- good luck with the license and the second job, I hope it works out great for you and as I said I'm all for it, well done for having a go.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote