View Single Post
Old 28-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #44
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
I thought it was the other way around, however, this all happened in 1986.

That’s why all the others outsell Mack in Australia. How many people do you know that have almost been sent to the wall after buying an E7 475? Or back in the old days with the E9 400, 440 and 500 not to mention the latest boat anchor before they stopped making them, the E9 525.

A sure way to become a millionaire in the late eighties would have been to stock up on Dynatard camshafts and water pumps for the E9. You could have probably made a killing with liners as well, I’ve lost count of how many of them I’ve changed due to electrolysis caused by an incorrect ethylene glycol mix

The Mack triple countershaft gearbox wasn’t bad, however, the p1ss weak clutch pack synchroniser for the splitter let that down.

The most reliable Macks theses days generally don’t have Mack drivelines in them, also I’m pretty sure that Kenworth manufacture the Airglide range of rear suspensions used in Australia.
I'm not going to wage war on what's better- I'm 26 years old, my dad sold Volvo Trucks for 16 years and I grew up with them, i've sold used trucks for 8 years now and new trucks for the last five and a half, 4 with Scania and over 100 trucks there and Mack Trucks for the last 14 months........ I'm in a good enough position to know the strengths and weaknesses of products from both sides of the world. Believe me- we all have our cross to bare.

The number of people my father saw lose everything because of 16 litre Volvo engines, the ones I saw cop consistent lame excuses from one of the largest independant truck manufacturers in the world was a joke......... I'm having customers I had forged good solid friendships with with one product coming to me now to buy exactly the opposite.

I want to let this subject go because there's no end to it. You can't write-off a company for what happened 20 years ago- everyones had their ups and downs, and market share is seldom a reflection of this. Look at Cummins Signature engines........ I would buy a Cummins engine twice over before I looked at a Cat for the reason of how the problems were handled when they had their spell a few years back. I've had an AU XR8 that cost me more money than I care to remember because it was a lemon of the tallest order but I still drive Fords- I've had four since.

BTW you are right about the Airglide suspension being built by Kenworth, but they do not make engines and they do not make gearboxes or diffs.

This is what I do, so I could type more than I care to but Mack has a reputation that is virtually carved in stone for a reason......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote