View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
WildRacer
Cougar King

Thumbs up Re: Cougar - 3.0L Engine Swap Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ View Post
Wow. Great work. I wanted to do the swap with Jaguar X-Type engine and drive line as well to make it an AWD. If you look at the X-Type from underneath it's same as Cougar including the subframe except Cougar is front wheel drive and a bit shorter in length.

Though the engine is an easy fit the swap it's not simple but compared to others it is relatively simple.

Interesting to see how the Cougar is handling all the additional power. I think that credit goes to Eibach suspension. I always doubted 3L swap with be way too much power for the Cougar to control.

I agree Cougars should have come with 3L instead of 2.5 but they targeted this car for specific customer type and didn't want to make this car competitive to other performance models. However, Tickford should have done the 3L swap instead of just suspension tune and cosmetic changes.

Cheers.
Hi Reddyz,

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words

The Jaguar engine I believe is a slightly different setup to the standard Escape and Tribute engines, due to the VVT (Or so I've been told). There is actually a guy on the newcougar forum who is attempting the Jag X Type Engine and AWD swap but I'm not sure he updates very frequently.

You are right about it not being a straight swap, but other than the modification I listed, it is pretty much plug and play. The longest/most difficult part of the project is sourcing the parts as 95% will have to come in from the States or UK unfortunately.

I haven't fully opened her up as yet, as I'm still breaking in the engine (New piston rings, new valve springs, timing gear, gaskets, clean up, etc) so she's still on slightly heavier oil. But you can definitely tell she pulls massively more than the 2.5l, especially when she's above 3000rpm. Half throttle feels like full throttle on the 2.5l for me.

Speaking of Tickfords modifications, I was curious when I bought my Eibach back in 2017 the injectors on her I found to be from a Ford Crown Vic 4.6l V8 installed (Cross-referenced the numbers), they are orange ones not the standard white.

So I was wondering whether Tickford did intend to make more power with these injectors (If your old one had them too), as I find it hard to believe the previous owner put them on as the whole car was basically unmodified (Apart from the Tickford gear)

WildRacer

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
California Clutch Stage 2 Disk and PP
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
ToyoSport Exhaust Headers
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB