View Single Post
Old 27-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #108
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

Just been spending more time getting my head into exactly what the options are regarding CV's a driveshafts.

The outer CV spline that slides into the stub axle for the WQ XR4 is identical to the LR/MkI focus. We've established that. One thing I've found, though, is that in the US, when the rest of the world went to the MKII/LS/LT Focus, the US stuck with their own evolution of the MkI - known as the 'AU'. The MkI had Duratec engines in 2.0 and 2.3 litre sizes, ran the MTX box, but kept the outer 25 spline & Nut hub sizing. The spline is always 25 Tooth, with a 55.5 to 56mm depth to the CV face, and a 32mm main nut.

The MTX gearbox spline is always 26 tooth. The IB5 is a 23 tooth. So that specifies both ends of the axle. The whole axle on the WQ Fiesta XR4 is a 25 spline outer with a 23 spline inner for the IB5. What we want are shafts with a 25 spline outer and a 26 spline inner for the MTX75. That is what you get on the LR Focus with MTX75 - subject to the length being right, and they seem awful close. Are there other options without the LR Focus shafts? Like mix and matching ends of existing shafts? Possibly, but there is one more thing to consider. What is the thickness of the actual shaft itself, and the splines that fit into the inner sides of each CV?

To mix and match CV's, you need to make sure that the spline on the end of the shafts in between the CV's are the same. The problem here is that there are a few options. And they are 21, 22 and 23 spline for most Fiesta/Focus, but 32 Spline for the US 2.3 Litre focus.!

The WQ Fiesta XR4 appears to have 23 spline shafts. So the CV part numbers for the outer CV's on both sides quote 25 spline outer (Hub) splines, and 23 spline inner (Shaft) splines. But other models in the range will have 22 or 21 spline inner shafts. The LR Focus is the same. Where it gets tricky is which model has which? The auto, the 1.6/ 1.8, the 2.0. Who knows. That's the guess work, because when you buy a whole axle it very rarely specifies the 'inner' shaft spline.

I have all the part numbers though. I'll list them here. I'm going to use FEBEST part numbers though for many of them, including some of the US CV parts. But for the whole shafts for the US parts I'll list Ford codes. NOTE that I do not yet have compressed length specs for the 32 spline parts, so I do not yet know if the US shafts would need to be shortened.

23 spline parts:

Outer CV - 23 spline inner, 25 spline outer - 2110-FOC or 2110-FOCIIAU (FEBEST)
Inner CV Left - 23 spline inner, 26 spline outer - 2111-CB320ATLH or 2111-CB420LH (FEBEST)
Inner CV Right incl intermediate shaft - 2111-CB320ATRH or 2111-CB420RH (FEBEST)

32 Spline Parts:

Febest do the outer CV and intermediate shaft, but not the inner CV.

Outer CV - 32 spline inner, 25 spline outer - 2110-FOCAU (FEBEST)
Intermediate Shaft - 28 spline inner, 26 spline outer - 2112-FOCAU (FEBEST)

The whole shafts for these using FORD part numbers:

Inner CV + Outer CV+ SHAFT LH - 8S4Z-3B437-B
Inner CV + Outer CV + SHAFT RH - 8S4Z-3B436-B
Intermediate Shaft - 8S4Z-3A329-A

Lukeyson