View Single Post
Old 29-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #90
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
just having a quick browse through on the booking site, it gives a small picture of each campsite.

are any grass? or are they all gravel for caravans/campers etc? i know they say suitable for tents, but it looks like they are all compacted gravel, or dirt. have you ever pitched a tent on these? do the pegs go in ok?

not looking to camp again until next school holidays at the earliest, but i'd be tempted to go for a drive one weekend just to check it out, before blindly booking online. i guess once you have been once or twice you get a feel for the layout, but for a first timer, its a bit tough trying to choose a good spot.
There's not really any grass sites, the sites around the amenities are all gravel, the ones closer to the entrance are a bit rougher, just looking at your tent, you wont have any trouble putting it up on most sites.

Although it doesnt have grassy sites, the whole area is lush and green in the cooler months so it certainly isnt a dust bowl.
Weve been in the warmer months and it gets dry and the river stops flowing so its not as nice, the mid year holidays are perfect, weather permitting.

I've pitched tents and put up the camper trailer tent there, some rocks in places, just have a few strong pegs in your kit, i go to my local steel mart and buy steel rod, then i cut it down and sharpen them up, they go through anything, best to take a good hammer or mallet though.

If you go to the bottom of the Mt Remarkable main page you'll find brochure links. One of them shows the Mambray creek camp ground.

1 is usually occupied by the volunteer park helper and 2 is in a hole.

All the sites from 3and 4 around to about 20 are flat and of decent size, the ones from 21 to 40 arent too bad but are on the bottom edge of the hill and some are uneven. The sites from 41 to 54 are mostly uneven in places and have rocks but its my preferred area.
We often use 44 which weve put a couple of 3 man and a 2 man tent on it has the best fire pit, or when we go as a larger group we get 47 and 48 which is a double site and takes my camper, the inlaws 17' van and two 3 man tents.
It has a pit but last time we were there someone had broken the swingaway grill/plate.

Also of note, theres a farm just as you head up the road into the park, he sells wood if you need it but dont rely on it because i've been when the sign is not out. Its nice to know if you run short, it can get cold up there, i've been when it was -2, we were in tents and the volunteer was worried sick that we'd freeze.
Good for getting a cuddle though...not from the volunteer though.

Were off to Canberra through mid June but when i get babck ill be getting ready for the midyear holiday and Mambray Creek.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: