View Single Post
Old 31-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: So much for gun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj
Why do you have a problem with police making sure that firearm owners are well versed in safety and conducting background checks when someone is applying for a firearm license? Have you ever experienced or known someone who has suffered from domestic violence? Gets a bit interesting when firearms are involved...

Why do you take issue with explaining what sort of firearm you're getting and what it will be used for?

Would you really want criminals breaking into your house and stealing your unsecured firearms?

How do you expect them to enforce the law?

That would be a bit underhanded. We don't have entrapment laws in Aus.

What would you class as a minor criminal offence.

Do you really have a problem with that? I had a relative who shot himself in the head after separating from his wife and the guy in this latest US Batman massacre is pretty obviously mentally unstable.

Again, why do you take issue with explaining what sort of firearm you're getting and what it will be used for?

Best practice to do these things in a controlled environment where you can account for all the variables.

Well I don't imagine you would want the firearms in full view... and if someone were to break into your car or steal it, you wouldn't want them to have easy access to your guns, *especially* if there are any documents that identify your address in the car.

They do. The laws apply to all.

I do appreciate the frustration that you feel having to jump through hoops, but for the greater guarantee of public safety... we have to find some acceptable balance between "no restriction" and "ban them completely".
karj you have made it plainly obvious that you firstly are a "gun hater" and secondly have no idea whatsoever about the legal use of firearms.

Examples of stupidity:

If you break you gun and just want to replace it with an identical item there is an up to 6 months cooling off period. This is real and in all states and has even interferred with our olympic training.

All someone has to do is make a complaint and regardless of how unfounded it is your access to firearms is removed. This almost cost us a gold medal in the Sydney olympics after a vexacious claim was made against Michael Diamond.

Should you forget to pay you license fee (and they do not send reminders) you must re-apply from scratch including the 12 months wait and the safety courses. This applies to everyone INCLUDING the guys to actually designed and teach the safety courses, I know of two examples.

Australian gun laws are not designed to make society safer they are designed to make it such a pain to own a gun that you just give up.
Of course that is the main reason why the illegal gun trade is doing so well.

Now I am going to make a bold assumption here that you are actually a reasonable person so please answer the questions with you views:

1) Should there be a 6 month delay in purchasing a firearm even though the buyer has other firearms and good history?
Or should it be treated like a car?

2) Should a licensed shooter retain the license and just pay the 5 yearly fee with maybe a small fine if they are late rather than have their property confiscated and have to go through it all again?
Or should it be treated like a drivers license?

Basically should the gun laws make it easy for legitimate users and hard for criminals or should gun laws make it hard for everyone?