View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Damn/musty smell when the aircon starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Thanks corbin. Is that a home DIY thing? Not even sure where I'd start. And is it normal to have to change this after 3 months from brand new?
3mths, no that's not normal but who knows how it were handled on the way to AU. With all the rain the FNQ has had mine wasn't smelling good soon after and every use of the AC. I thought I replaced it during a timing belt change but didn't, and after going over the records it's 2.5yrs since. So I changed it recently and the smell instantly went away. Charcoal cabin filters are $20 from Ford and for that I'll do them every year now. Though this last one is a Ridex Charcoal filter (padding from the last OS Order) so I'll see how it fairs.

As yours is new I'd check the drain is working, just eyeball a wet patch somewhere under the middle of the vehicle I think. The MD has a trippy location of the cabin filter, you have to come from the side of the dashboard when the door is open and take the Gbox off ect.... If you've got the tools and are good with your hands sure it's doable. If not then best to not try. Make ford change it and ask that it's a charcoal filter not just a plain filter. If not for warranty ask for a quote.

It's a pain in the backside on MB's and probably the same for MC's. The first time I did mine I did it by the book, Gbox out, GEM panel out to the side. After that I now have a faster way and it's drop the GEM panel out to the side, take the kickpanel off and I've got access to the filter door, remove two (I left the middle screw out) and curl the filter to the slot as I'm feeding it in. All whilst I'm laying on my back (over the door scuff) shoulders on the floor working over my head. Not delightful but it's minutes to do not half as long as per the book.

Last edited by cobrin; 04-04-2018 at 04:51 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: