View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #88
mbv
Starter Motor

Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filter Problems

I am most interested in this solution. Can you give the mix of water and caustic drain cleaner? Also what brand drain cleaner - just out of interest? I have a few other questions but they're probably better for a pm. Can't do that yet!

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Yesterday I picked up the wifes 2009 diesel focus from the 3rd service centre that couldnt fix the engine malfunction issue caused by the DPF. I took it home and put it up on my hoist. There are 2 muffler shaped boxes in the exhaust, one connected directly to the turbo. The other directly aft of the first connected by a short lentgh of flex. Both have some type of sensor at the engine end. The second has what looks like 2 vacuum lines one front one rear.
I removed the later chamber and cleaned it. Firstly I stood it on its end and filled it with water and caustic drain cleaner. I let it soak for 15 minutes then flushed it out with a hose, in the reverse direction of the exhaust flow. I repeated the process and again flushed with the hose. I then used my high pressure cleaner from both directions and stood the chamber on its end to dry.
I refitted the chamber and drove for 8 kms at 3000rpm to dry it out. The engine management warning has gone, the engine light is out and it runs better than it ever has.
My options where $6500 to replace the DPF, or 2 hours labour and $15 for some caustic.
All 4 bolts holding the chamber to the exhaust broke! No big deal I drove them out and replaced them with some 7/16 316 I had laying around.
I have also found a company that will re tune the ECU to remove the DPF and improve performance etc.
Regards
Stephen
mbv is offline   Reply With Quote