View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #1417
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

I got a new 1st year apprentice on Wednesday. Day 1 he was keen. Day 2 keen but a bit tired and stroppy. Day 3 keen but nodded of a few times between sites in the van. And they have been 3 easy days. But he is doing his job. There are only 2 things that are his job at the moment. 1: learn, im happy to teach. 2: make my jobs run faster, and he is doing that. So as he is fresh, ill show him a basic task, watch him do it, then do the technical stuff. Obviously keep an eye on him, but there is no point having someone watch me do something thats way over their head. That all comes in time, so fitting off power points, junction boxes and changing lamps, for 3 days in i think thats pretty good that he can do the extreme basics not terribly. Yes i check the work, but when he is done he asks for the next task, i dont find him bludging and have to tell him the next task if you get what im saying. So yeah, only 3 days in but he seems like he is genuinly interested in the trade. And the thing i like best about this young bloke, every time we get out of the van he instinctively get my tool belt out of the back and he already knows how i orginise it. I find myself telling the kid the opposite to what im used to on occasion. 'Nah we dont need that, put it back'. Im used to saying 'come on dude you know we will need tools'. I mean give a few more days and I'll probably hate his guts for some reason or another, but so far he isnt a turd like i am used to as a new apprentice.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote