View Single Post
Old 13-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Wazm
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC
When talking to the Ford mechanic who fitted our tow bar, he said that the car had to have tow bar type and trailer plug type (Ford product with wiring loom) programmed into it or else there could be problems and the car could activate the immobiliser.

I can understand wiring changes, but not actual tow bar.
I was told that the reason is to separate the trailer wiring away from the computer as a spike from a loose connection or something similar could destroy the computer. I had a HR towbar fitted and then spent another $330 on the towing module and twenty something dollars on the wiring loom. Costly exercise but worth it in the end. I had a blown tail lamp on the trailer and the computer notified me with an alert message on the dash. The reverse sensors are also deactivated. Now that I think about it I am fairly sure the side sensors at the back are still active as one of the kids walked pask one day and set them off.

I am presently getting an electric brake controller fitted so I can tow a Jayco Swan camper. Now that is a fun exercise. Make sure you get a quote before proceeding is my advice.