View Single Post
Old 19-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #79
AS_Telstar_Man
Starter Motor

Wow - impressive thread - you guys aren't westie XF falcon lovers (I wanna buy one for laughs), we can actually make some big calls without degenerating into a slanging match. Top stuff, much respect.

Agreed on Mazda quality not being no.1 - mechanic told me that since the curvy 626 of the early 90s, Mazda lost the plot with building cars that go the distance, now they're all about showroom appeal only. I can attest to that with the AS Telstar's mazda engine outlasting everything else on the car, the dang interior and exterior panels were just rotting away in the weather and when I found rust on the chassis rail that was the last straw. Pity about that - I loved that car, I hope somebody found use for that engine, it had at least 150,000km left in it.

Agreed with Steffo on Honda - nice cars but they're made for people who want to feel like they're driving a prestige car when they paid less for their Accord than what a new base-Commodore costs. Honda is an example of marketing gone well - minimal discounting required and no fleet sales really helped their cause.

And Fords have minimal showroom appeal - that's true. I drove the Focus CL as well and I was amazed by the handling, its the sweetest handling FWD I've ever driven- but having rocked up to the Ford dealer in my retiree parents AH Astra (rocking up to showrooms in a bomb is a big mistake cos all cars feel nice compared to the Telstar) the Focus CL felt way cheap - I actually preferred the Fiesta LX over the Focus even the Focus LX.
AS_Telstar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote