View Single Post
Old 28-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #1536
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Promo for this type of stuff seems wildly optimistic but vague on specifics. 500km of range, at what weight and terrain travelled.
How much $$ to charge these things to achieve max range, and how many battery packs is needed for a fleet of say ten trucks running between two main cities...
400 kms for B Double, 500 kms for conventional Semi Trailer.

On their website Janus says the conversion is similar to a major rebuild $150,000 or about a third of a new ICE Truck.

Janus also says that it costs about $110,000 for the battery or they can be rented for $140 per day, thinking that would be roughly $1000 per week, which is better compared to Diesel daily consumption.

Yes, they are really promoting this to raise $8 million ahead of an IPO towards the end of the year, so maybe more expansion of services after that. I think we’re getting an insight into the future where fleets don’t have to spend $450k on a new ICE or BEV truck. Even the yanks haven’t thought of battery exchange through the front of the vacant engine bay, that’s Aussie thinking, the grille is meh though….

Quote:
The cost of an engine rebuilt (approx $30-40k to inframe a Cummins) to convert to full electric, sounds too good to be true.
Brakes on most line haul units good for 1 million km or close to.
By then if the linings/pads haven't worn, S Cams/bushes or caliper pins/bushes will be flogged out due to vibration regardless of what is powering the truck, so thats a moot point.
Hydro gearbox retarders will work as good as any regenerative braking and make conventional brakes, and engine brakes redundant. So another moot point.
Brake fade is down to operator abuse or negligence (drive to conditions etc) not the tech used. Plus, brake fade isn't a regular thing, so thats clutching at straws to promote the supposed virtues of unproven tech in this application.
I was thinking regen on trailer brakes as well but not sure if I misled you….
Regenerative brakes improve efficiency and save energy that would normally be lost to friction and heat, over a million klms that adds up to tons of saved “fuel”. Fleet managers interest in whole of life running costs would have to consider that…

Also, an electric cab is a much nicer place to be with no buzzing droning diesel with vibrations for hours tiring the driver. There’s a lot of good things coming once we get past holding onto diesel. Heck, autonomous vehicles on mine dump trucks and straddle carriers transporters in port areas are proving that removing humans might save on maintenance and breakdowns. Not for all situations of course but it does offer the solution to driver fatigue…..

Last edited by jpd80; 28-05-2022 at 03:03 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote