View Single Post
Old 16-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
aublackxr8
Starter Motor

Default Re: what globes for heater controls au?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjunior
what a pain in the bum it is to fix a blown globe on a s1 heater controls. after getting the circuit board out and unsoldering the globe i went to a few parts places only to be told they dont have those globes.so i visited a few wreckers and end up changing the whole thing as no wrecker would seperate the circuit board from the controls.anyway all fixed now but what a saga to just change a blown globe.
Quite frankly the whole series 1 heater control unit is a pain in the bum! My original had a problem with the Ac/Ac Max switch as well as blown bulbs. Sourced one on Ebay with the whole oval shaped front attached to it (which is OK because I want to get that one sprayed black). There are little blue plastic sleeves on the bulbs. If you want brighter lights just remove these plastic sleeves and it exposes the bare bulbs. By the way, they ARE filament bulbs and not LEDs. Be careful when dismantling the unit...there is this little button that hits a tiny switch on the circuit board and is pressed in when you turn the knob that directs heat to various vents, ie. feet, dash, demister. you must make sure you don't lose it. I am going to take the current circuit board that I have out of the car to somebody that works with circuit boards and get LEDs to replace the bulbs and also to check that all the resistors and diodes on the board work ok. Why is this thing so complicated?? What was wrong with the mechanical levers that were on earlier Fords. For Chrissake, all these things do is open and close flaps and open and close the heater tap!

Oh, does anybody know if the series 2 control unit will fit into an series 1, ie. will the little plugs in the back and the wiring all plug in? My guess is that it won't be compatible but can anybody confirm?
aublackxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote