View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
FTTNode - this is interesting. your average Australian is 500metres from a Node, and testing shows over 90mbps is realistic on new copper - so close to the best you can get from NBN FTTP that it does not matter. BUT ....
1) If the copper is old/repaired (etc) that you will not get this speed - it is impossible to tell for sure, but if you get 24Mbps from ADSL, then you *should* get 90+ from FTTN NBN - with a likely linear relationship if you get less than 24 on ADSL
Not necessarily... I was on a tophat just down the street for ADSL2. I was shifted to a node 1.3km away when NBN was rolled out, despite a micronode in the adjacent distribution area (over the street) being only 200m away. IMO, if they were going to persist with copper, the micronode approach was more appropriate as it meant you minimised copper length and therefore minimised the inherent problems caused by copper.

As for the condition of the copper, when NBN was first planned, the ALP commissioned a study of the copper network to determine if it could be used. The study found what many of us already know - Telstra had allowed the network to fall into a pitiful state of repair. When LNP took over, they simply dismissed the report because it came from ALP and forged ahead.

Fundamentally, my gripe is that LNP have saved 20% of the cost but delivered a 50% poorer product. We'd have been better off continuing with FTTP. By not factoring in the condition of the copper, they've effectively not budgeted for the ongoing cost to keep it running...… I'll be surprised if in 10 years time, it doesn't end up costing as much as the original FTTP NBN anyway.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: