View Single Post
Old 18-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LS/LT reliability & cost of ownership?

Never had the headlight fault, but a good reliable car, and well built. Like all modern cars, the headlights being plastic, do get that dreaded fade. If you do update them, just be 100% sure you are buying replacements for RHD, as the LHD lights have a slightly different angle where the bulbs sit, I am assuming for LH road camber.

Another known fault is the rear tail lights weren't sealed that well, and the LT especially let water into the spare wheel well via the tail light, down inside the carpeted boot sides and into the well. Easy fix though. Either new gasket, or silicone.

Paint fade, especially on black and silver can be an issue. My silver has fade on bonnet and roof, but doesn't effect drivability. If it doesn't bother you, you could leverage a real bargain with it.

The automatics had a 'clunk' when dropping back to first, but if the person you are buying it off took it back to Ford, in the day, they would have sorted that in a software update.

Are you looking manual or auto? I have a 2ltr manual and it flies!!!

So easy to update as well. I have all the ghia nice bits inside now, and XR5 seats and door panels. The late LT updates had great standard sound systems too. But you can upgrade to the Sony head unit for about $80 these days. Or chuck in a GPS unit.

Where are you based?