View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Timing belt replacement.

Timing belt renewal on my 2011 mc TDCi:

Removing/displacing starter motor in needed to lock flywheel. On MC removal of lower intake manifold is needed to access starter motor. Looks like egr coolant hose and oil dipstick as well, the dipstick at least having migrated from right to left or left right from MA to MC. MA were on the other side.

I got interested in the blue stuff on the new crankshaft bolt. As far as I can tell by looking at it through a microscope, it has tiny glass beads. Googling, these break and catalyse a chemical reaction in the threadlocking substance, which according to a colour code might be an epoxy stuff, ie, light blue.
To soften this threadlocker, if it be needed, the temperature of the bolt should be taken to about 150 deg C.

The bolt is torqued to stretch at 60 degrees of rotatation, and wonder if heating it might make it easier to undo on that account.

Meanwhile I found a transmission cooler hose leaking, and the rear crankshaft seal leaking a bit. 200000km. I bet that would cost a lot, so let it drip. No other big problems though, so happy really, apart from the fact the timing chain lasted 500,000 km plus on my Falcon. I did have to re fuel-twice as often though.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: