View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #466
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta View Post
Oh yea it was you sorry! Does the car battery last??
It's not a car battery, just a small deep cell one. Most of the power packs you buy have 100Ah batteries. The one I have is only 7Ah.
It never went flat when we were in Halls Gap but we were only running LED strip lighting off it. That's all I need it for so only got a small battery.

Have used the same setup in my garden shed at home as well to light that up. Never had the battery go flat and the solar panel charges it OK.

I could connect a larger battery if I wanted to as it just has alligator clips on it if I were to run something a bit more substantial.

The box itself is very simple. It only has the on/off switch, a volt meter, a USB plug and a car cigarette lighter plug. There is also an simple push button which operates the volt meter to see how much charge is left in the battery.

All up, the box cost me a little over $50. Half of that cost was the actual box itself. That was $25 from Jaycar. Everything else was cheap from ebay. The plugs and volt meter was $15 though.
Solar panel and battery were about $20 each, so all up was about $90 in total.

If you wanted to run a fridge off it, you'd have to buy a bigger capacity battery and solar panel.
2 users like this post: