View Single Post
Old 28-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Renault (Fiat) bought Mack

Using your fingertips to change a non-synchro is the only way - any other way and you haven't done it right.

The only truck you should jake change on is an old 5 speed Mack going up a hill - full stop!

Some very good drivers can change non-synchro boxes with out using the clutch, but you will still wear the sliding clutches in the box, every time you have gone to pull it out of gear and it hold/grabs a little you have taken a little more of the edges (come on 'fess up), PLUS Eaton will void your warranty. They can tell within 2 seconds of pulling the top off a box whether a driver has been using the clutch or not. I can jump in a truck, drive it for 100 mtrs and tell if a driver uses the clutch or not.

And for what it is worth, if I owned a truck and drove it myself I would have a F16 Volvo, if I owned a truck and was going to put a driver in it I would own a Value-Liner Mack with a 9 speed Mack gearbox and the 350hp Mack engine, and I would say "try and break that you bastards" :eclipsee_