View Single Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades
i will dissagree on the not jake changing.
there are some hills that when im up on my weights, and have accelerated from the lights at the bottom, the only way to go up is to jake change( almost NEVER do it tho ). i learnt it just so i can do it if the need ever arises.
if my gear grabs, i dont force it, i just tap the clutch. no sense in dragging it out, cause then it will probably throw into a wrong gear.
The way to change fast from a standing start uphill is to take it out of gear without the clutch, as soon as it's out of gear push the clutch all the way to the floor (fast), this engages the clutch brake, then into the next gear. This is according to an old 13spd Eaton manual that I read ages ago. It works well but timing has to be perfect.

Although to be fair I was doing it on a 'W' Model where the gearstick goes straight into the box (no cables or linkages)

But enough of this, I'd better give schmidty his thread back and wait for the test results to be posted.