View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #45
K.P.

Default Re: New BP fuels additive announced

Old thread I know - but after 7 years of trying different petrol in first a modified AU Fairmont Ghia then my current modified (stock tune dual-fuel) FG XR6, 95 on either car just wasn't worth the extra c/pl for only mild performance gains. Shell V-Power years ago was A1, the additive package was changed, and it seemed only good the first 1-2 weeks.

BP Ultimate both these cars took quite a long time to get used to (?) it seemed superior to Vortex 98.

To be honest in the last 4-5 years I broke past the silly "No, no, not 7-11 petrol" as I have over time found Mobil's Special 91 to be gutsy, strong, reliable and above all consistent quality, better than all other 91 RON (definitely better than any 95 RON from Shell etc). I must say I live in Melbourne and the Mobil fuel comes refined from the Altona refinery.

The last six months I've only used Mobil Special 91 from the one site (yes I drive regularly enough on petrol unlike many slapdash dual-fuel car owners)...and I've been deeply impressed, so next I will try their Supreme 98+.

Use whatever (correct) fuel for your car, it's YOUR car, not mine nor Martha's across the street. They vary...two cars identical from factory end up being different beasts unless driven, serviced and looked after identically. A billion tuners swear by Ultimate 98...but Mobil Synergy 8000 used to be the tuner's wet dream. Seeing that all that has happened is 7-11 petrol is Mobil and some Mobil stations have opened, Mobil have recently upgraded their additives...the Supreme 98+ could be the bee's knees.

All I know is that Mobil 91 RON (Special 91) is ridiculously good 91 RON petrol in the last few years. I don't drive for economy (but avoid LPG/petrol that goes "zoom" but also the gauge zooms down disproportionately also). As long as I get a combination of high-performance and good economy I'm happy. Actually, in petrol I've not been that happy since V-Power changed ~ 2013. I've never used BP 91 RON as it contains 2.5% ethanol as stated on the pump. It might be good, but after a bad E10 experience in the Fairmont Ghia, not touching ethanol-containing fuel ever again.

You're buying Mobil product, not a 7-11 snack. Who cares what the storefront is? I'm also a happy chappy because I discovered the closest Shell (independent, always has been) their LPG is Supagas (100% propane, no butane)...still, for the best economy/performance, Mobil's LPG is the best. Actually, that's how I got into Mobil petrol, via their LPG. I do love Supagas though...

I'm really excited to try the Special 98+ to see if it's similar to Synergy 8000. It's definitely refined to 98 RON, not jacked-up 95 with additives to reach 98 RON, I've checked. In the US the best tier Mobil "gasoline" is called Synergy, I bet the additive package is similar (with variations) worldwide.

Last edited by K.P.; 11-08-2019 at 02:13 AM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote