View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Looking at downgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
All AU XR8 sedans have IRS.

It's understandable that you think that way now, however it will be most interesting to ask you that question after a few months of owning an AU XR8.

I have a friend who thinks that every newer model is a forward step and he continues to go out and buy the new model. Each to their own, but I like to see and feel real improvement.

Autos usually need replacing after 150,000k's, and are expensive.
Manuals are more reliable and much more fun, clutch is not so strong, but cheap and easy to replace.
IRS is pretty good. The upper shock mounts might need 'adjusting', and the diff mounts may need replacing. The diff centre is pretty strong.
the shock mounts tend to separate completely, and need replacing, one of mine went recently and i did them both for ~$400 - mine was a cracker of a case. My transmission however is on 249,800KM and still going!

here are what my shock mounts sounded like:

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=mounts.mp4

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 12-07-2011 at 06:43 PM.