View Single Post
Old 17-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Need “Architectural Grade” Sparky - SYD

All sorts of kerfuffle with the project.

Snag 1. Ceiling wiring goes from 2.5 at the fixtures to 1.5mm2 somewhere in the ceiling. Due to the difficulty in pulling wires and unknown interconnections, the sparkies were resistant to putting new 2.5mm supply and switched wires for the ceiling - or adding another circuit. The problem was an issue because the fancy light fitting is a 600W halogen item being added to a room full of halogens.

Snag 2. The ceiling fans are stuffed. I’ve got one apart and the starter cap is clocking 144nF or about 10% of its rated capacitance. Basically the run winding has been struggling without the starter to kick it off. Much heat, it’s melted the grease out the 6202 bearings and cooked cable ties. At $1200 plus for a similar replacement, it’s worth the effort to repair.

So right now we have a Swiss cheese ceiling on the job, the owner wants to re-relocate the fan as the first relocation didn’t end up looking right to him, and there’s an LED retrofit guy coming to deal with the large pendant lamp fitting tomorrow.

I have a good idea who will be setting plaster at all hours next weekend. After I’ve dropped 10m2 or ceiling to build a structurally rated bulkhead for support of a “floating look” rack in the kitchen. And somehow found time to change a couple of BMW airbags.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote