View Single Post
Old 22-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #172
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
goauto.com.au

The FG Falcon’s basic ‘glasshouse’ is expected to remain, but redesigned headlights, bumpers and grille, a new bonnet and front quarter panels will transform the look of the Falcon.

It will be the last major overhaul the vehicle receives before moving to an all-new global platform later this decade, which will likely herald a V6 petrol powertrain and a shift to a front-wheel-drive layout.

Before then, however, the substantial design work now evident with the 2014 midlife update could see the Falcon soldier on for longer than expected beyond 2016, although Ford is yet to commit to local manufacturing past that date.
I think that section will turn out to be a dead accurate summary of Falcons future. No matter what the sales are like after this update is released, there wont be another locally developed RWD Falcon. But this doesn't need to be seen as a negative. The global FWD V6 replacement will be a great car, appeal to a wider market, and no doubt sell in much higher numbers. The big question is whether anything will be built in Australia...

Quote:
goauto.com.au

Ford management last week confirmed the venerable Geelong-built inline six-cylinder engine will receive further upgrades, but the measures will not make it compatible with the tighter new ‘full’ Euro 5 emissions standard due to come into effect locally in 2016.
This is interesting. What will happen in 2016 if the I6 cant be made Euro 5 compliant? Surely they wont engineer a V6 for RWD for a year or two. Could Falcon become ecoboost 4cyl & V8 only?

Quote:
goauto.com.au

A broad trapezoidal grille that features on all these vehicles has been reinterpreted on the Falcon, while Mr Svensson said the design would still emphasise the large sedan’s rear-wheel-drive layout.
I liked this line. I dont think the RWD layout is emphasised anywhere near enough on the FG, this sounds promising. Hopefully they manage to disguise the front overhang a bit more.

And would anyone care to predict whether the utes will recieve this upgrade in 2014? I heard a while ago that all engineering and development was completely stopped on the utes a year or so back.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote