View Single Post
Old 27-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #29
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Hi Steve,
The way that most people see things over here is a bit different. We see the US collapse as having been caused mainly by greed - not terrorism. Handing out loans to people & corporations who couldn't afford the repayments was always going to end poorly. Parceling up these mortgages & selling them to domestic & overseas investment houses so that we could all "share the joy". CEO's and there underlings falsifying documents and financial accounts so that they could continue to trade & receive bonuses etc. Is there any asset of tangible worth in the USA - or is the whole country built on a litany of lies & deceipt ????
So blaming it all on terrorists is a bit of a cop out in my opinion. Your country, by its financial practices & greed, is now responsible for the meltdown everyone is suffering from & its probably going to get worse this year. In the meantime a lot of innocent people will do it tough, lose their homes, their retirement investments etc etc. These are the people I feel sorry for......
I agree with you that greed by US corporate fat cats was the cause of the global collapse, but I think the point Ohio was making is correct that the aim of 9/11 was to have the same result. The unfortunate part is that the perpertrators of this disgusting act were allowed escape and instead the US government invaded Iraq ( a supposed easy target that hasnt turned into an easy target). Anyway, we also should remember that we are not doing it so tough here in Aus as a whole. The people of the USA are doing it tough along with the most of the rest of the world. It's not the average American that caused this, its the corporate fat cats and the government that would have seen this coming and did nothing in the name of capitalism. Dont the Govt understand that even that needs some restrictions for it to work. It also shows how far and reaching the health of the US economy is when a company like Toyota, who are without question one of the leanest manufacturers in the world can operate at a loss. I heard an expression that rings true, when the US economy sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold. Regardless of what we or anyone thinks, the world requires that the US has a healthy economy.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote