View Single Post
Old 17-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #46
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I'm gunna re paint my XR6...which colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I've got an XR6 sedan and an SR wagon. I'm planning on keeping the wagon for 20 years. The XR6 won't be around that long.
The wagon is my work vehicle and was salvaged from the scrap heap.
The XR6 is my private car. It's live axle, leather interior, low km and in nice condition but it's been f*cked with, so I'll be improving it as a non original. Will have a manual conversion with a VCT engine. May also do some performance upgrades. Have picked up a havoc? bumper and grill so will also paint that up with a no spoiler boot lid for a change of scenery if I can be bothered.

I will need to respray both of them. Will also be replacing engines in both. It makes sense for them to be the same colour...I think.
Have been tossing up for a while which colour? I have sprayed cars a long time ago...wasn't very good at it...but I think I can do better now. However I will be trying to keep it simple.
I am interested in any opinions of what others might do in my situation;

Liquid Silver;
Both cars are currently silver. So it makes sense to keep them the same colour? Less work stripping preparing and painting all the other parts. I like the colour. It's a classy colour. Maybe a little bland. Thermally efficient too (keeps the car cooler). However being a metallic that will be harder for me to spray? I also doubt I would be able to match the current colours, so may as well respray the full car.

Winter White;
I do like white. It is thermally efficient. Also easier for me to paint. I could just go an enamel?
I especially like it in a wagon. Not so sure on white in an XR6 though. Feels a bit insipid to me.

Silhouette (black with a blueish tinge);
I don't like black because it gets too hot and hard to keep clean. However this car is going to be garaged and not driven much anyway.
I've got a manual wreck in this colour and it just looks more menacing than my silver one. Almost like this design is meant to be a dark colour.
Not sure how I'd go spraying a metallic black? Maybe just an enamel black would look the same?

Venom Red (I am partial to the red in an XR...not thermally efficient though).

Then there's the host of other colours...Galaxy Blue...Congo Green...Blueprint...Meteorite...Narooma...Monsoon.
My AU ll Futura is liquid silver and badly requiring a respray.. Although the clear is not peeling other than on the front bar ..she's got that dull faded look . I've tried different polishes ,de oxidisers , claybar etc but she just won't retain a shine . Guessing it's UV damage from a bulk of the time in weather . Just can't afford anything up to 8K to restore paint to former glory and have no skills to try doing myself just yet .

All I do now is regular waxing to try and keep her protected better and minimise further deterioration. One day I'd like to do more . She drives like new though and is an absolute peach to potter around in . Never cost me anything much to maintain mechanically since I bought her in 2003 .

Liquid Silver is a bitch so I've been told to panel repair match but guessing a full respray would not be an issue ..If you do change the colour and do it yourself just make sure you notify the rego mob because they don't like not knowing as my Dad found out one time ..I reckon you already knew that of course ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: