Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #136
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
Ok, awesome, thanks for all the info. To be honest, I'd probably like your setup as weight doesn't bother me too much. I rather be comfortable. Can I get shoes like yours that'll fit on my cleats?

With that being said, every ride I have, around 20 minutes in, I'll get numb hands and it effects the rest of my ride and my enjoyment. I've read up about it and I'm still altering my bike (move seat forward a bit, down a bit, tilt, etc etc) to try and get it to be comfortable. I don't have gloves, they're next on the shopping list and hopefully are a bit of a fix or at least reduce the numbness in my hands. Also read about trying to get more upper body strength so I don't lean to hard on my hands.
Im not sure you can get MTB shoes with recessed soles that fit road cleats to be honest. Perhaps someone here can confirm. Since the cleats on road shoes are larger, the sole of the shoes do not cater for it as neatly as the MTB style shoe.

As for palm pain, gloves with some ergonomic padding is a must. Plus gloves protect your palms from gravel rash should you take a tumble. When you fall, usually your hands are the first to feel pain on the road. So protection is needed otherwise you will find you may be out of action for a few weeks due to no skin on your palms. lol

I have some Sugoi gloves with gel in specific areas. Cost me about $40 but no I would not ride without them, and I dont get palm pain after a 2-3 hour ride.

I have ones similar to these. Fingerless so I can still use my smart phone.

One thing the owner of my LBS said to me was even if he is a 1km ride or 100km ride, he would never leave home without his gloves.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont