View Single Post
Old 26-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #332
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Schumacher critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
What makes you think they are selfish? It maybe Michael's wish to keep going.
This could be very true.

My wife died recently and we had talked on a few occasions in recent years about being kept alive by a machine or would we rather be allowed to be let go.

She’s became sick early this year and had a few hospital episodes in quick succession and during one she was told by the hospital staff her chances of survival were very small but they could keep her body alive with help from drugs and machines and she told them that’s the last thing she ever wanted.

As it was she pulled through on that occasion and we then went about ensuring our personal affairs were legally in order in case the worst was to happen.

A few months later she was rushed to hospital again and as she deteriorated and became unconscious the family and I were informed there was no way she could survive on her own and would never gain any quality of life and the hospital had on record from an earlier visit her wishes were not to be kept alive with machines.

As I had Enduring Power of Attorney and for those of you that don’t know the difference it’s not the same as Power of Attorney, it allowed me to legally make the decision she wanted and have all medication stopped, the machines turned off and she was given high doses of morphine to help with the pain as she slipped away.

Even though I legally had the power to make this decision I of course consulted with the rest of the family before doing so.

So who knows what Michael Schumacher and his family have decided over the years.

Given that he participated in a very dangerous sport I’m sure these questions would have been discussed at length and maybe the family are following his wishes.

For all you people that don’t have Enduring Power of Attorneys sorted out make sure the next time you do a will you get the solicitors to do it as well.

It means you get what you want done and sometimes that can make the decision your family has to make so much easier to live with.

I know for me that as hard as the decision was, I take comfort in knowing it was the one my wife wanted.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote
77 users like this post: