View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Alot better than a Mondeo, what are you basing that on, an assumption. The Mondeo is a match for any competitor in the medium size class.
Couldn't agree more Bossxr8. Don't get me wrong i am a huge fan of the mazda 6 and i have also read the wheels review and many other stories and am sure it will be a great car, and a very serious threat to mondeo. But alot better, not likely.

Obviously availability of a manual, less weight and of course a torquier 2.5 litre version of the Ford/Mazda 2.3 (which, despite ho hum figures on paper compared to some competitors is a gem of an engine used in many FoMoCo vehicles around the world) means it will most probably be a better car in base petrol form at least. Certainly faster and burn less fuel. Of course handling will be right up there with mondeo too. I would say those two cars will dominate medium car reviews for a while yet.

Also, it should be noted the likely lack of a MPS version for a while yet, combined with no diesel until late this year, and then only in manual as well mean mondeo has distinct advantages in this area also, combined with fords quite sharp value for money. I have to go against the trend also and say i don't much like the new 6s styling - its not ugly at all, just doesn't impress me very much, particularly the rear end. Very japanese (as was stated by its designer - saying mazda should return to styling cars from its japanese roots) wheres mondeo is of course very european.

Finally, mazda continual statements that is shares nothing mondeo is marketing speak to keep themselves 'above' the poor ford brand. I love mazda and am happy they are a ford company, but all this well deserved succes is making them think the tail can wag the dog. The next new 6, as noted, will be based on EUCD platform, like mondeo (and many other ford cars, e.g. volvos etc.), whether the like it or not. This new 6 is on a heavilly updated version of CD3, but both EUCD and CD3 are based on the original CD platform from a decade or more ago, so are similar generally. Obviously with different sized engines, gear boxes and a wishbone front end versus mondeos struts, sure they are quite different. But that is like BA falcon versus Territory, different floorpans and bodies obviously, different front suspension etc. but same platform. Oh and all four of the cars in my example use control blade IRS, to prove my point! Either way, good times ahead for medium car buyers methinks! (oh, and death to camry, had to put that in!)
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote