View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #473
coolozzieguy

Default Re: WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Hi All,

Have been reading the threads on the ST here, and it is good to see the different experiences and so forth. I am looking at salary-sacrificing either end this year\early next year, and the ST is now top of my list, as I probably won't be able to afford a new XR8. I do have a few questions which I haven't found answers to here, if people don't mind. I managed to find a user’s handbook online, for the European version which helped for a few things, but wanted to confirm a few things with the people who have lived with them day to day:

1) Euro aircon performance. The AC in my Getz is actually quite icy... when you have clean air in front and it is less than a 35c day and you are doing over about 60kmph. But after about 5 mins of disturbed air, or slow driving, it goes to water. Plus it cripples performance. The AC in my old EF in my sig. took about 45mins of bumper to bumper traffic and heat soak to get that bad.

2) Headlight performance. My Getz has good regular beam for around town at night, but high beam is fairly average (but not terrible) in the bush\country at night. My EF was the opposite, i.e. useless regular beam in the city, excellent high beam in the bush.

3) Dirt road performance. I drive on dirt roads from time to time, and my Getz is probably the scariest car I have ever driven on thick, loose gravel, to the point where I have to turn off the ESC. Even in a straight line I have to disable it as it randomly starts kicking in (especially at the rear) and one time almost caused me to spin on a straight section doing about 65Kmph-ish. I imagine the ST will be pretty good but just after some feedback.

4) ESC. The handbook I found says it can be switched off completely, but is this 'really truly' off or Toyota and Mercedes version of 'off' which is still on.

5) Spare tyres. I see that the ST appears to come with a Space Saver. Unlike most, I seem to get 3-4 punctures a year for some reason. Can you order a full size (can't find it on Ford website) but if not, will a full size wheel fit in the wheel well anyway?

6) Ethanol. Yes, I am "one of them" who likes ethanol for cars that can run it. The handbook says you can safely run up to 15% ethanol. I have used United e10-100 octane many times in compatible cars and it is great. Has anyone used this before for long periods, and if so, how did it go? This isn't a deal breaker, as I also use and highly recommend BP Ultimate but just curious. Also, has anyone tried\heard of an E85 conversion\tune? Dunno about you guys, but I reckon that E85+EcoBoost would be a match made in heaven and give you the fabled 'EcoBlast'.

7) Future model. I see on the Ford US website that they not only get a 5 door, but also get what appears to be Sync-2. Again, these are not deal breakers for me but if there is going to be a change, I am willing to wait, so if anyone has insider info, it would be appreciated.

Hope I haven't asked too much, just after some info on what people are experiencing.

Thanks.
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote