View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Respect for the Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I was exposed for the first time today, to an unrehearsed haka at a wake for an acquaintance. It's hard to put into words, how profoundly different this was, to what is almost a "showboating" performance in many sporting and social events with an NZ connection.

To witness someone quivering with energy, as if every fibre in their body is hyper-focused, on point and almost supernaturally driven, to feel the ground shake as feet pound, to observe absolute silence as all commands complete attention - this was beyond remarkable.

Even now, eight hours later, I'm still battered by the emotional "charge" of this experience. It's given some insight into how confronting and terrifying the Māori warriors must have been to colonial arrivals.
To be fair have to say i kind of envy your reaction to it ive lived in NZ all my life and having gone to boarding school at 8 where it was done with monotonous regularity kind of took the edge off,rugby season was the worst and by 10 really was questioning why myself and 14 other skinny little white fellas were doing one before every game of rugby,didnt seem to put the opposition off there game Like most things theres a right time and place but as a constant its lost its mana so to speak.