View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta Options not available in Oz

So, while I have sensors, looms and the controller from the LS Focus Ghia, it is looking increasingly like I won't be able to use the DZ controller itself, but I WILL be able to use a hybrid of the looms and the sensors from focus/fiesta. Some significant differences and challenges include:

(1) Fiesta has one blend door and thus one actuator for the Demist/Panel/Floor discharge. Focus has one actuator for demist, and another motor for Panel/Floor, and a convoluted mechanism of cogs on the side where the panel/floor motor actually drives 2 x flaps.

(2) Fiesta has a 2-pin actuator for the recirculation flap, Focus has a 4 pin actuator. This actuator is actually in the standard AC models, and is changed when you press the Recirc button on the dash. So we should be good to retain the standard actuator IF we use the Fiesta SZ auto controller.

(3) The Blower Fan on std AC units has a multi-resistor module that switches the fan speed. The Fiesta Climate uses a method of PWM control to adjust the fan speed - and requires some kind of feedback. The Focus also appears to use PWM - but the motor appears to be a completely different shape - unless the plastic mounts are somehow interchangeable, and has no feedback. Can I use the Focus motor in a Fiesta? Not sure yet.

While the Focus DZ controller option is not completely dead, I really am going to need a Fiesta Heater Box to play around with this. The thing is, the heater box in the current wreck I have I sort of want to keep there so I can use it as a full test later on - meaning I'd like to avoid dismantling it to play hack-a-boy. So now I need to go off and get a WP/WQ heater box. Good thing is, if the DZ won't work, the SZ can use the same wiring loom. Sweet.

The thing most likely to complete derail me is how the EATC Module goes about telling the PCM that the AC clutch needs to be engaged, and this might be the biggest kicker. On the Fiesta EATC, there is a pin for issuing the AC request. On the Focus, that pin has been re-used for one of the Defrost pins instead. Deep in the Focus LS Manual, it is mentioned that the DZ EATC module sends it's AC request via the CAN bus. That one right here might be the biggest show stopper of all of them for the DZ module in a Fiesta.

Luke