View Single Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Is your Barra out of balance too?

Hi there,

the Barra is like most straight 6 a very well balanced engine.
However, i have recently discovered that there are some areas within the rev-range, where it is slightly out of balance.
If I keep the RPM at 1700 when the car is parked in the garage, the engine develops some sort of slight vibrations that can be felt in the steering wheel and when holding/touching the open drivers door. The vibrations basically flow through the whole car although they are not extreme but noticeable.
It is a 2000 AU Falcon Futura (4 speed auto , 151000 km).

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the vibrations at 1700 RPM so it can't be felt anymore?

I mean it is not that a tiny weight can be put onto the crankshaft to counterbalance it like you do when a wheel is out of balance.
I also checked the vibration absorbers that are used to keep engine and frame apart. They seem to be ok.

However, if it is normal that the Barra develops some sort of light vibrations in some areas throughout the rev-range (every engine is different), I'd like to ask you guys at what RPM your Barra is slightly out of balance and if anything can be done about it.

Thanks for any info....

cheers

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote