View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #48
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas
My wife is looking at taking a remote posting in Qld "somewhere" as a school teacher. I'm keen for a change of scene, as I've been in IT for 15 years. A mate of mine's wife got a posting to Moranbah a few years ago and he's picked up work with a contract mob building dongas. He's a plumber, so walked into a job. My mate was saying it's easy enough to get a job driving dump trucks with just a car licence, especially if you're living in a mining town. "Boneheads" as he calls them, make just as much as trades.

I was thinking it would be good to get a proper skill or trade if the opportunity came up. I see places advertising for apprenticeships and was wondering if this would be possible as a non-school leaver?

Money won't be critical if we can get teacher housing. Her wage would cover our living costs, so I could afford to go back to apprentice wages. Vice versa to our current situation! Anyone know whether the mines pay apprentices more than regular workplaces?
ALOT more, my mates nephew just started a boilermaking apprenticeship, he is 16 and on $90k apparently. This is up in Gladstone.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote