View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 AM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Re: AU V8 Conversion - Parts List

Nathan, thank you so much for making up this list. It has been my bible while preparing to do my V8 conversion.

I'd like to ask a few things about it please. Sorry if some of the questions seem silly but I am learning everything as I go.

STEERING
Grub screw or Replacement PSP Switch - to Block off and stop leaks from the Speed Sensor hole on the Rack
^ Is this sensor no longer used when converting to a V8, or is there another sensor?

ENGINE
Engine Mount Brackets
Driver side Transmission Support bracket
^ Were the engine mounting brackets and trans support bracket changes technically the only things required when an engine is all fine?

ELECTRICAL
Solenoid Plug (Unsure of name, Sits under the inner guard infront of passenger firewall - 6 CYL is different to V8
^ Did you ever find the name of this?

ECU - This will need to be reprogrammed to the car for Smartlock / Shield - Or if you run a QH - It can be disabled in the Programming
^ Will the car start and be drivable until flashed, just no security?
Ground Cables will need to be changed - You can pick up Ground straps of different sizing from SuperHeap or any Parts store
^ Is this a cable from engine to battery ground? (I forgot to look tonight before asking.)

FUEL SYSTEM
Fuel Lines - V8 Lines are longer from the firewall forward
^ Can they be extended using longer fuel hose instead?
Vacuum Line - This is usually a package with the Fuel Lines
^ Can you please explain a little more about this? Is this to the Evap?
Vac Lines - From Manifold to Regulator
^ Would you please be able to show a photo of this? (I can't be sure which it is.)

TRANSMISSION
Gear Shifter Linkage - V8 Linkages are Longer from the shifter to the gear plate - Roughly 1.5 - 2" Longer
^ How is this accessed? Does it come out the top after the trans is dropped out? What if removing both engine + trans together?

Was there anything else you think would be important? I saw your note about the oxygen sensor pin, is it just literally adding a pin into the fuse box harness to enable it, or more involved? Are the two oxygen sensors part of the V8 engine harness?

I am guessing also:

Cruise and throttle cables different lengths?
V8 dash (for rpm)?
V8 driveshaft

Thank you!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: